Ballroom Dance Society – About Us

Jump to: History | Board & Officers | Past Presidents | Special Thanks

History of the BDS

The Ballroom Dance Society (BDS) was organized July 25, 1990 by Helen Pogue. She arranged for a dance, featuring ballroom music including the foxtrot, rumba, tango, and cha-cha, to be held once a month at the Midland Petroleum Club. 

The first president was Neil and Novella Faulkner. Other founding members were John Evans, L.K. and Helen Gladden, Fay Hamilton, Delores King, Bill and Polly Luck, Frank and Faye Morgan, Ray and Marie Smith, and Ben Tamney.

The first ballroom dance was held Saturday, October 6, 1990 from 8:00 to 11:00 p.m.  Music was provided by Easy Listenin Combo. The cost was $6.00.

The BDS was dedicated to Ellen Gonzalez (1936-1990). Ellen was an instructor of ballroom dance at Midland College.  It was her dream that there would be a beautiful, genteel, dignified place to dance in West Texas where live ballroom music from the 1930s, '40s, and '50s was played.

Board & Officers (2016-2017)

Past Presidents

Special Thanks

BDS owes a debt of gratitude to Linda Griffin, who in 2008 had the foresight and took the initiative to create a website for the club. Linda was the club's first webmaster and this site is dedicated to her. 

Top of Page